Shawn E. Cowles
Orange County, California
P (949) 224‐6252
F (949) 224‐6404
Areas of Practice:
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
Shawn E. Cowles is Shareholder in the Firm’s Litigation Practice Group in Orange County. Mr. Cowles specializes in the areas of real estate and construction litigation; professional liability; commercial litigation and insurance coverage. He is an accomplished trial atorney with extensive “ﬁrst chair” counsel experience in bench trials, jury trials, and before the California Courts of Appeal. Mr. Cowles is adept at formulating a strategic plan to get his clients out of litigation, and then executing on this plan. He is an aggressive and creative litigator who has obtained successful results in many contentious and complex cases.
Shawn graduated from a top ten law school and has been named a “Super Lawyer” in Southern California. He has represented multiple Fortune 500 companies in multi‐million dollar litigation cases. Shawn has published
articles and lectured on multiple business and real estate litigation topics.
Shawn has lectured on various litigation and real estate topics, and has published articles in such periodicals as the Orange County Business Journal.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Author, CEB (Continuing Education of the Bar) publication: Trade Secrets Practice in California, Insurance Coverage for Misappropriation Claims section, supp.
- “Modiﬁcation of California’s Mechanic’s Lien and Stop Notice Law Commencing July 1, 2012 ‐ A Guide for Preventing Mechanic’s Liens, Stop Notices and Payment Bonds Pertaining to California’s Modiﬁed
Law,” co‐presented seminar for owners, developers and design professionals, February 2012
- Contributor, Morris, Polich & Purdy’s California and Nevada Insurance Coverage Update, 2012 Vol. 1
- Contributor, Morris, Polich & Purdy’s California and Nevada Insurance Coverage Update, 2011 Vol. 3
- Contributor, Morris, Polich & Purdy’s California and Nevada Insurance Coverage Update, 2011 Vol. 2
- Contributor, Morris, Polich & Purdy’s California and Nevada Insurance Coverage Update, 2011 Vol. 1
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC)
- Orange County Bar Association, Past Oﬃcer (Secretary) for Construction Law Section
- Board Member, Bethany Christian Services Adoption Agency
- Past Member, Lincoln Club of Orange County
- Past Member, International Christian Chamber of Commerce
- Past Member, Jewish Community Center
Mr. Cowles earned his J.D. from the University of Virginia and his B.A., magna cum laude, in Philosophy
and Economics from Pepperdine University.